Monday, April 30, 2012

Conclusion


To conclude our blog, we decided to each reflect on what we learned in the zoo community and how it impacts us now in our daily lives. For me (Katie) personally, I learned more about animal conservation and preserves and how sometimes the zoo environment is not conducive for animal sustainability. I never thought about the preservation of animals and how sometimes zoos are cruel to their animals. It never occurred to me that sometimes animals are not able to procreate in the zoo environment. But I also learned that sometimes animals do better in the zoo environment because it allows for the animals to rehabilitate and prevent them from becoming endangered or extinct. This sums up more about what I learned but more importantly I have formed a more informed opinion about zoos. Everything that I learned goes along with what I believe now, I think that zoos are a great learning experience but they aren’t always good if they aren’t ethical for animals.

You hit it right on the nose Katie. I (Ben) believe the zoo has its pros and cons, but what doesn’t. There’s always strings attached. However, I do believe zoos do more good in our world than bad. Yes a few out there may ruin it for the rest of them with poor ethics and inhumane treatment, that will never end, whether the animal is in its natural environment or not. But it has been proven for thousands of years that zoos are a very important learning tool, especially for the young. They are also strong entertainment avenues, and more often than not the money you pay to explore the zoo goes to wildlife reserves and various charities to help endangered species. Which brings me to my next point. Zoos have proven to be a reliable wildlife conservation tool. Many endangered species are held in captivity within zoos and are part of a breeding program to increase their numbers. Without zoos many of those species would already be extinct. I believe zoos reflect the responsibility we as the human race possess in order to conserve mother nature.

These are all great points. I (Molly) learned a lot about the relationships and ties people within the zoo have and also the impact it can have on people outside of the zoo. When looking deeper into what zoos have to offer, you can see how that small community can help build a society outside of just the zoo. Looking from all different viewpoints of workers, children, and experts, my opinion of zoos has not really changed, but just has become more knowledgeable about what I used to think. Learning about the public and private aspects of the zoo really helped me grasp a better understanding of the pros and cons of what zoos have to offer.

No comments:

Post a Comment